While I was doing my 10-mile run this morning, I had plenty of time to think about, well, running. And in the 104-degree heat index, I managed to put together the following disjointed list of 26 deep thoughts.
1. I have completed five weeks of my 16-week marathon training schedule, and I feel great about that.
2. From here on out, every Saturday morning run is a double-digit run. Somehow, I find this exciting.
3. Only four more July runs to go!
4. This week, the 3s become 4s. I will miss you, little 3-mile runs!
5. I think it's awesome that the Running Spot puts out coolers along the routes its training group runs -- and then doesn't mind when stray folks like me stop by for a cup of cold water. What a boost that was today!
6. My Shuffle is on the fritz. Booooooooo! I'm dependent upon my iPods, which isn't good, because they're among the least reliable products ever created.
7. So far in my training, I have seen bunnies in Florence and at Lunken. And there's nothing like a fluffy bunny butt to make a run go better.
8. I tried out my new Camelbak today, and I really like it.
9. I learned the hard way, however, not to freeze it overnight. Took a lot longer than I thought for the ice to melt, so I actually ended up running out of water for a bit. (The good news is, the water stays nice and cold!)
10. I'm doing much better not choking myself when I eat Gummies for fuel. I'm thinking not choking to death will be among the keys to finishing in Chicago.
11. Much to my extreme surprise, it appears someone finally cleaned up all the penis drawings on the Taylor Southgate Bridge. And to think: It took them only about 18 months!
12. My right knee still hurts pretty much every day, but it just doesn't matter anymore. It's time my knee starts playing by my rules, and so it will.
13. I'm enjoying my new visor, and I could not be more delighted not to have to wear my much-loathed hat.
14. I'm getting some new shorts, and one pair will be -- wait for it! -- purple.
15. I am reminded every time out that running is at least 90 percent mental.
16. I am so grateful to Sherry Coolidge for being willing to run with me and talk with me and just generally be really awesome.
17. I am so grateful to Adrea Beatty and Amie Bracken (and their pending wee ones!) for running with me, but more so for their continued advice and support and psychotherapy.
18. My training so far has included runs in Canyon Country, Calif.; Santa Barbara, Calif.; and Cleveland.
19. Oh, man, now I wish I were in Santa Barbara.
20. Sept. 18 is the 20-mile run. I have had that date circled for two or three months.
21. The toughest part of every run seems to be the last mile. It's as if the finish doesn't get any closer.
22. Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty shaky about the last 6.2 miles of the marathon. How do I make myself mentally tough enough between now and then?
23. Maggie Jenkins and Mary Soller, I apologize in advance for all the whining you're going to hear from me on Oct. 10!
24. I can't wait to see my Chicago pals when I'm in town that weekend. Where should we eat?
25. PLEASE let me get one cool picture out of this marathon. I have this glorious picture of glorious victory in my head, which proves that hope, however foolish, springs eternal.
26. I ordered my backup pair of purple Air Pegasus, and they're in my closet, just waiting. They are The Official Chicago Shoes. And I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.
Only 11 weeks to go ....
Welcome to my brain! You're likely to find posts about sports, travel, food, wine, media, TV and music. Should be something for just about everyone!